Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Baker and His Wife


The Baker and His Wife
Pompeii, Italy 79 AD 

Il panettiere e la sua moglie
 La montagna è stata rumbling per i giorni -- 
Siete andato andare a prendere alcuni fichi mentre stavo 
producendo il pane, levanteti in piedi improvvisamente 
là prima di me che avete detto - 
Non possiamo farli funzionare non possiamo nasconderci, 
Il mio amore come volete passare i vostri ultimi momenti? 
Il più caro, prenda la mia mano e ponga con me la tenuta voi tenuta me. 
da  joanny
 Fin
 Fresco
Pompeii, Italy, 79 AD 
english version 

The Baker and His Wife
The mountain has been rumbling for days --
You went to fetch some figs while I was making bread,
Suddenly standing there before me, he said –
"We cannot run -- we cannot hide, my love"
"How do you want to spend your last moments?"
"Dearest,", I said, "take my hand and lay with me holding you holding me."
by joanny
Fresco
Pompeii, Italy 79 AD



Last Days - Mt Vesuvius
Pompeii, Italy  79 AD 


Lava Bread/rolls recipe to go with G-Man's Possum dinner.


Make wine-must rolls as follows:
moisten a bushel of wheat flour with wine-must, 
add aniseed, cumin, two pounds of suet, a pound of cheese ,
chopped figs and dates and some grated bay twig; 
after you have shaped them, place them on bay leaves and bake.

buono appetito

fin


This is my offering for Friday Flash 55, hosted by G-Man  Mr. KnowItAll.


photo credits wikipedia commons, photo stock

34 comments:

  1. So Beautiful Joanny,
    and these fresco's has lovely colors.

    Have a nice friday.

    greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words Joanny, loved the pics. also . first class post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when all else fails...i think i would like to go the same way...in her arms...nice 55 joanny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story for us....and the recipe. Excellent work!!!!

    Here is my 55 link

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those frescos are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rabbit, rabbit.

    I can't imagine what Pompeii must have been like - before, during or after.

    Your 55 rolls go well with roadkill possum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heart-warming 55. "We cannot run we cannot hide, my love" sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the images - both from your words and from the photographs. That is what I would want to do if my world was ending - hold my husband close. Lovely 55.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good one.. and the bread would be perfect with the possum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heart touching lines of poetry--and paintings are also good.
    Joanny can you remove the word varification?for easy commenting.
    Best wishes.
    Hemant

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and lay with me holding you holding me...that's probably the best way to go..

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fitting accompaniment to G-man's dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the romantic way you write. Makes me want to go to Mrs. MM's place of work and give her a big kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great words. I can imagine that happening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. good ending--- how can we best escape the Vesuvius but in each other's arms after eating that figs cake...
    great post and I love those pics

    Hugs
    Dulce

    ReplyDelete
  16. A 55 in TWO languages with photos AND a recipe? (What the heck is 'wine-must' anyway?)

    Very impressive, Joanny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, Joanny. But lava rolls to go with G-man's dinner? Don't encourage him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful 55 offering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW A 55 in two languages. I have hard enough time with one language LOL :) I loved the ending my friend. Well done. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a way to go!

    I don't know if I'll try the recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. unbeatable words.
    Thanks for the beautiful mind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet, Joanny, Sweet.
    I like the romance that smells in your voice when you speak...the fragrance lightens a lot.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joanny, I have walked thru Pompeii, it was amazing they had stepping stones in the street so you wouldn't dirty your toga.
    Indoor plumbing.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the words and the pics!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  25. perfect match of words and images.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Always impressive! I can't imagine what it was like so loooon ago. So different, yet certain story lines always remain the same :) Really liked the images too! Have a great Sunday :) XO, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful captivating and rich! The paintings and the ideas draw me in. You have a funny twisted side I like as well with the October post. You seem to be good at Yatzee too.
    I look forward to reading more.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice -- I've always loved that fresco -- now I have a story to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful colors in that fresco. And the story is such a tribute to love.

    www.angiemuresan.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful...
    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. that was such a sweet poem...and the pictures are lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those pompeiians were so advanced. So much of their great culture and knowledge was lost.. I have been to Pompeii three times and loved it everytime. It is truly out of this world. Carla

    ReplyDelete