Friday, April 15, 2011

Nouvelle 55 -Friday Flash 55


Lady of the Lake
dwells in the vast, 
cool fragrant rooms 
of a translucent palace

Surrounded by earthy
and watery companions’
leaves her robe behind


and goes swimming
in the well of inspiration;
bringing the light of spring
to the dark of winter



her reflection shimmers
in every leaf and lingers 
on every cool breeze.
Fin



 nouvelle 55 
Friday Flash 
hosted by Galen
Friday flash is a mime written in 55 words and Nouvelle 55 is writing about a painting. 
my poem is based on  the first (photo) Painting of Jane Morris (1839-1914),
by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882)
Rossetti captures Jane’s beauty as well as her character; she was,
according to contemporary accounts,
an unusually silent woman.


In the 1860s, while painting his first pictures of single female figures, Rossetti fell under the spell of Titian, Palma Vecchio, and the great Venetian masters of voluptuous female flesh. His brushstrokes broadened, replacing what he had described as the “stipple in the flesh” of his earlier, painstakingly detailed Pre-Raphaelite compositions. His head-and-shoulders portraits sold well, and by 1870 he was devoting himself almost entirely to representations of the ideal woman, often in the form of Jane Morris. Rossetti’s later works were embraced by the Symbolist painters, who shared his interest in painting dreamy, introspective women lost in silent meditation and mystical inwardness.



Lady of the Lake
dwells in the vast, 
cool fragrant rooms 
of a translucent palace
Surrounded by earthy
and watery companions’
leaves her robe behind
her reflection shimmers
in every leaf and lingers 
on every cool breeze.
Fin

photo credits: Painting of Jane Morris (1839-1914), by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882):;
2 & 3rd Rodney Smith;tumblr
 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, Joanny, you're reallly something. I love the images you select, and these verses you match (with their creative restraints.) I'm your student . . . not ready to venture into these constructions. I enjoy what you're doing, and love the works you've shared with us.

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are melodic with your writing. Must admit, it is the 'mystical inwardness' in your post script that captured me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, all around - word choices, flow, etc. - everything works here. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts always get me thinking and inspire me to use my creative muscles. Thank you! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanny...!!!!
    It's so good to have your er you back.
    A Classic on a Classic.
    Loved your 55, and the backstory!
    Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cool and quite calm just fills me with your words Joanny. I also like the post script, as it adds another layer of beauty to your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanny, j'aime beaucoup ton travail. Comme moi, tu sais bâtir des histoires, à partir d'images, de photos, et surtout de ton imagination. Tu es très créative, et tu fais dans le beau.
    Oui, ça me plaît beaucoup.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanny,
    your match with words and pictures is excellent.
    Especially I like picture nr 2:)
    Wishing you a nice weekend and happy easter.
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. quite lovely...nothing says spring like skinny dipping in the lake...but my waht a reflection she has...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poem, full of magic and enchantment. I love:

    "and goes swimming
    in the well of inspiration;
    Bringing the light of spring
    to the dark of winter "How I wish that experience ...

    Very beautiful images, a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You chose amazing pictures of the womens-it's visible that they are not only pretty but have also character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! In my head I was thinking it was about skinny dipping. If so, it was a most brilliant way with words. I wonder when voluptuous female flesh will be trendy again?! Ha ;) Hope you are well, I enjoyed visiting XO, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant, Joanny! One of my faves of yours.

    And that white dress hanging above the nude -- oh, what places I could go in that!! Physically and in my mind.

    Love the ice castle and words.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Så du är svenska? Va kul du susade in hos mig!

    L.O.V.E/OrOShJäRta

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful, Joanny. I can always count on artful verse and images when I visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such sensuality lining up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete