Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Before My Time - But in My Blood -

 I woke up one mornin’ and heard this tapping    
rhythmic sound to a crazy beat.
My momma was watching this television show
Had-da  HADDA  Had-da  HADDA ho!
Ms  Hadda Brooks show
She instinctively found pleasure
at the tumultuous stepping
Now a dancer obsessed with the acoustic beat
Momma's body was
Moving and grooving                     
Swinging and swaying         
Stomping with lightening
Fast flying feet
A dancer dancing to different times, 
with an imaginary partner
that had long ago been agreed upon
between Composer, choreographer
the dancer is transfixed 
 by the metronome beat. 

Every generation has their songs,
mine is rock and roll,
till I heard the Rhythm and Blues
Before my time – but in my blood
That Boogie Woogie eight in a bar beat.
Oh Lord, I got the Boogie Woogie Rhythm & Blues  

Thrilled by the heart pounding stepping
Made me forget about
Saturday night live 
clubbing with Coldplay
and do the jukebox 78
Jitter-bug shuffle.

I take leave of the thirties
type jive step  
and
dance without a partner
stepping crazy patterns
with 
my hipster dancing feet. 

For it is the one sound
that is fusion
between the races, 

and across generations
Before my time – but in my blood
That Boogie Woogie - eight in a bar beat.
Oh Lord, I got the Boogie Woogie
Rhythm & Blues  

 photo via magpie tales by Willow



Fin
for
and

Before my time, but in my blood,
That Boogie Woogie eight in a bar beat.

I got up one mornin’ and heard this tapping   
rhythmic sound to a crazy beat.
My momma was watching this television show
Had-da  HADDA  Had-da  HADDA ho
Ms Hadda Brookes Show!

She instinctively found pleasure

at the tumultuous stepping
Now a dancer obsessed 

with the acoustic beat 
Momma's body was
Moving and grooving                    
Swinging and swaying        
Stomping with lightening
Fast flying feet.
                    
A dancer dancing to different times,
with an imaginary partner
that had long ago been agreed upon
between Composer, choreographer 

the dancer is transfixed
by the metronome beat.

Every generation has their songs,
mine is rock and roll,
till I heard the Rhythm and Blues
Before my time – but in my blood
That Boogie Woogie eight in a bar beat.
Oh Lord, I got the Boogie Woogie Rhythm & Blues

Thrilled by the heart pounding stepping
Made me forget about
Saturday night live

clubbing with Coldplay
and do the jukebox 78
Jitter bug shuffle.

I take leave of the thirties
type jive step  

and
dance without a partner
stepping crazy patterns
with my hipster 

dancing feet. 

For it is the one sound
that is fusion
between the races,

and across generations.

Before my time – but in my blood
That Boogie Woogie eight in a bar beat.
Oh Lord, I got the Boogie Woogie
Rhythm & Blues

Fin


 photo credits: via  tumblr images 3 & 7-- #2 & 8 Hadda Brooks http://www.virginrecords.com/hadda/wikipedia commons  5 & 6 google
 

Postscript 
Born Hadda Hopgood on October 2, 1916, in Los Angeles, CA; died on November 21, 2002, Los Angeles, CA; married Earl "Shug" Morrison, 1941 (died 1942).
Education: Attended Northwestern University, Chicago, IL; attended Chapman College, CA.

Career

Singer and pianist, 1945-71, 1987-2002; television show host, 1951-1960s; actress, 1947-2000.

Life's Work

During the post-World War II years, Hadda Brooks burst on the scene as the "Queen of the Boogie," releasing hot piano numbers that burned up jukeboxes across the country. Soon she picked up a microphone and let loose her smoky bedroom voice on chart-topping ballads that had couples swooning on dance floors nationwide. She sang for Humphrey Bogart, the Queen of England, and the Pope. Her talents landed her on both the big and small screens and sent her soaring around the world on tour. She was hot, but by 1971 she'd had enough and retired into semi-obscurity. However, someone remembered her soul-infused singing and by the 1990s she had reemerged from retirement to enjoy another round of celebrity. She became a darling of the club circuit, seducing packed audiences with her piano virtuosity and vocal passion. At the age of 79, she signed with Virgin records and released two albums. She appeared opposite Jack Nicholson on the big screen and counted some of Hollywood's hottest talents among her close friends. Hers was a talent that transcended generations. As her official website noted, "She continued to delight her fans up until her death, at age 86, with the same impassioned brassiness as she did in her recordings and performances from the 1940s to the 2000s.... From Analog to Digital.... From 78 Records to MP3's."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hadda-brooks#ixzz1AjAUzdL1

48 comments:

  1. Again so nice Joanny....my compliments.

    Warm greetings from Holland, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent post and most enjoyable to read.
    Thought the pictures superb,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can feel the rythm of the music reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always know to tap the sensuous and the energetic. Dancing is the most alive form of movement. Dancing without a partner in the warmth of my room with pulsating music is truly invigorating and liberating.

    I want to dance now . . . I will in my heart as I leave this page.

    Thanks for this joy, Joanny.

    Much love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanny, you just about have me up dancing! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanny,
    you describe so well a kind of music filled with so much joy, and the pictures are beautiful. Very elegant. I like it.
    Have a nice week, and thanks for nice comments in my blog.
    Warm hug,

    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something about music of that era that can't be replaced. I love the 40's station on my Sirius radio. My 18 year old daughter is in love with music of the 30's. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah - that Boogie Woogie Rhythm & Blues...my feet start to tap the rhyhtm already..will dance through the living room soon....nice joanny

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is difficult for me to express my thoughts in english but you have to be sure that your posts impressed me a lot!
    Wonderful!
    You can take from my blog whatever photo you need...if you need!
    My regards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pictures. They are never about reproducing reality as perfectly as possible. They are always about art. Art of seeing, art of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the info one needs > here it IS.
    Joanny- what a wonderful tribute to music and ages--- no matter waht, dancing is in the spirit and no doubt we are moved and made to dance by what our life experience has brought to us...
    I love rock and roll as well and Popoh so much

    hugs sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this poem! The pictures complimented it too.

    I love me some dancing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. As an ex-lead guitarist in a local band who occasionally played the Blues, this brought back memories. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful write. The poem goes so well with the information. I love that Boogie Whoogie, how can it not be in the blood?

    ReplyDelete
  15. you got a nice little dance theme going on here joanny...music has that way of crawling inside you regardless if it is from your time...my taste is pretty diverse but has not always been that way it just kinda infected me...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work, structure adheres well to subject theme/words, flows triptastic well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you kidding? The Boogie Woogie blues? I'm dancing right now! Thanks for your sweet comments today. Your the best. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  18. great great homage to a genre and a time that stays with us and that will never ever be passe' - beautifully written - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, and by the by, girl, i got me some boogiewoogie blues EVER' day!!!! oh, yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful Joanny, the music splendid and do wish I too could have lived both eras - dancing through them all - music unites not only the races but the ages - especially the rhythm and blues....thank you ...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  21. And YOU are queen of poetry and posts dear! What a fun vibe, it's always a show and fun to sit at your side!! I love the part about how every generation has it's song. So true, and in each of our hearts we carry our own beat :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful post, I enjoyed it throughly.. thanks for sharing...

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/01/whispers-reflections-from-dark-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved this, Joanny. I have a collection of music that pre-dates my birth because it is the soundtrack of my life before I was born and when I was little and my Mom and Dad would cut a rug :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful poem, post, everything! I imagine what life would be without music... a boring speculation. The generational element and personalization of your poem is very moving. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the Boogie woogie beat of the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is an interesting write J...pleasure to read.

    Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are beautiful pictures - Well done

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found myself tapping my foot, swaying, and reading in a rhythmic pattern...what a joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I sooo love dancing, and yes... I absolutely agree with you that music is that one thing that brings generations (and God knows what else) together!
    Thanks for this lovely lovely swingy piece, Joanny!! My feet are kinda itching to get tapping now.. heheh

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely, rhythmic - you had me dancing right through it...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Joanny, a very nice entry.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great poem, my youth was also dancing rock'n'roll. But over the years discovered their origins in excellent pieces of Rhythm and Blues played by outstanding jazz musicians. And further back in time I found the Ragtime, totally genuine and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You got the beat, my friend, right in your words. The music of the 40s rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is it politically correct to say this is one of my favorite Magpie Tales of all time? It is. Born in 1941, with a musician daddy .. I grew up influenced by all manner of music. Your Magpie touched me on every level possible.

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow, music, images, talents, laughters...

    rich and fun post.
    well done.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bit of a musical overload here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Interesting post and fun poem. I really enjoyed this, Joanny!

    ReplyDelete
  38. wonderful tribute to a beautiful talented lady. I didn't realize all her accomplishments.

    Thanks for taking the time to recognize hadda and share with One Stop

    Moonie hugs

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very good post. I appreciate the effort that went into this.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this...the photos, the music and of course the dance. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's quite possible to enjoy and dance to both. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Joanny, what a wonderful post with all those gorgeous photos of dance. makes me feel like dancing.. Wonderful. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm with all the commenters who have appreciated the thought and the research that went into this interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My taste varies well beyond my eras... but music has a way of tying all things together in a nice little package and time-travelling them to just the right audience.

    ReplyDelete
  45. fabulous ! You put a lot of time and energy into this gret post!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm late stopping by but I do hear the boogie whoogie beat! Great poem, pictures and information. My first time here...you really put a lot of work into this...

    ReplyDelete