Monday, April 26, 2010

Stranger then you dreamt it . . .Magpie Tales #11

The grand chandelier fell, killing one
now lurking in the shadows secret and strange
A pitiful  figure in the shadows, whose face hides behind a mask
 The one called the Angel of Music-
Will you still play music dear Angel, when the rest of us are dead?

When I am fast asleep in my bed
the Angel of Music sings songs in my head --
tenderly  he whispers his deeds as well as his love for me,
and I am secretly possessed by his voice in my head
singing softly and calling me by my name

Dare I dream again? for I find
The Phantom of the Opera is there, inside my head... 
Angel! I hear you --   come to me, come to me now -
for the night is long and my soul is weak.

Angel sing your song so sweet the one that revives my heart,
from the harshness of the daytime light..
Sing  your song and  stay by my side,
As I close my eyes and give way to my darkest dreams
and abandon my defenses
letting my spirit soar to a world I knew not before

Thus the Angel of Music sings out to me in my dreams
and to the gentle and forgiving stars,
"Touch me, trust me, savour each sensation!
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in
To the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night...
You alone can make my song take flight
Help me make the music of the night..."

Hide from me no longer, show me who you are
strange and secret Angel of  the night
Then sweet child you shall know me,
See the secret life I hide
"Look at your face in the mirror, I am there inside"
 Angel of Music,I have been  mislead. 
I blindly followed the thoughts you planted in my head.
Angel then it was true you were secretly lurking in the shadows -
it was no phantom ghost but you 
Spying on  Raoul and I in a lovers embrace.
with your Red Cape flailing in the wind and 
the tall Silver Tipped Cane glistening in the candle light,
Whilst, I thought it was a dream of sparkling starlight send
by the Angel of Music singing in the night..

Stranger then your dreams  you devil woman - 
Damn you - Damn you! look what you have done.
Thus revealed a  frightening man-- the monster that I really am .
Do not shield your eyes  for this is your fate for now you have lost your freedom
Have pity, for you will learn to love the man behind this mask as you have done before in your head.

The poor despised creature was tracked down by her lover--
beaten with his own Silver Tipped Cane to death.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mQor1Ka9Kf8/S9GIJfULDBI/AAAAAAAAAF4/3NkRqZ-vLv0/s400/IMG_3567a.jpg
Fin
Visit Magpie Tales to read what wonderful Tales other writers and poets have spun using this photo prompt. http://magpietales.blogspot.com
Quotes from The Movie The Phantom of the Opera, Images from Marc Chagall's ceiling, two  images the movie The Phantom of the Opera, the Silver tipped cane from Magpie Tales, by Willow

23 comments:

  1. What a poem Joanny.
    My use of English is not good enough to describe
    what i feel when reading it.
    The words are piercing my chest hitting like bullets my heart.
    Thank you for this sensational post.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous magpie...this is so wonderfully written....a most excellent poem...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is yin and yang..behind each mask is its opposite..such a strong poem..great imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and tragic, Joanny. The Chagall ceiling in the Paris Opera House is near the top of my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you truly put readers in perspective!
    mindful magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love the Phantom. Great combination of words and pictures for this. Good job. Thanks for visiting.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Joanny, you mystify me with your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom is my all time favorite musicals ~ I love how you wove the walking stick, your story and Phantom into your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Passionate and creepy.

    The lurker with the red cape flailing in the wind... what an image!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendor
    Grasp it, sense it - tremulous and tender
    Turn your face away
    from the garish light of day,
    turn your thoughts away
    from cold, unfeeling light -
    and listen to the music of the night ..."

    Beautiful poem...great for the photo prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written and told, Joanny. Such a tragic tale of what lurks beneath the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful piece, full of stirring imagery and glimpses of a great classic. A fine, fine read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joanny,
    Wow girl, you are becoming more adventurous in your writing; I like it!
    there is alot of poetry in our dreams as well as alot of dreaming in our poetry.
    Masks are both wonderful and terrifying, it's the tender heart that see beneath the mask.
    Well done.
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so good I wondered if it was the translation from German of real lyrics from a Phantom opera. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Evil in disguise...I'm glad he got it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Joanny: What an epic poem! From the Phantom of the Opera. I was going to ask if I could peruse the Angel of Music; he sounds quite a catch! How macabre and dramatic! Recalling the "Touch Me" Lyrics. Awesome and scary pics! I'm a mezmerized by this perfect gothic entry to the unknown river realms (please close the crypt door on the way out the bats are getting loosed from the chandelier!) WoW! Love POTO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great opening line Joanny. Sets up the drama of the story beautifully. I am a big Chagall fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A haunting tale, yet you even allow for some sympathy for that poor beast.. Well written, Joanny!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  19. personally I HATE the story of Phantom of the Opera...dark, ugly, sinister...but your poem is well written! Obviously great care was taken to write it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. my favorite musical now and forever

    ReplyDelete